Saturday, August 7, 2010

Facebook, Twitter, or Both

Well after having my Facebook(FB) account up and running for about a week I have come to realize that it's a bit of a daunting task getting it set up. Most friends warned "you'll be addicted in the beginning!", however, I feel the only reason I spent as much time as I did on it the first few days was due to the time it takes to post albums, find friends, and then actually view their profiles and albums too. I got a Twitter account right before I opened up FB and I find that much more habit forming. With FB I can receive emails to alert me on just about everything so there's really no need to log on to it unless I'm updating or posting something of my own. With the integration of FB and Twitter, my pertinent Tweets can automatically update to FB and there are many add-ons available for the everyday user and developers alike. What have I found to be the pros and cons of each? FB pros: easily find, connect, and share, with friends and family. The ease of accessing new posts or updates is also a plus. Cons: takes a few days to really set everything up and to find and explore your friends profiles. I suppose that is meant to be one of the fun parts of the whole Facebook experience however, unless you are trying to stalk everyone you know, I can't see FB keeping some one's interest for the long term. Twitter pros: quick and easy set up, immediate updates of anyone that you are "Following", and due to the text limitations there's not a whole lot you have to read to stay in the "know" or type to keep your "Followers" up-to-date. Cons: can be addictive especially if you follow multiple people or groups, and it's a little tricky finding people or posting if you don't know the exact usernames. Something to keep in mind when following popular celebrity figures is you want to make sure you are following a "Verified Account". It can be a bit confusing since many of their fan club sites use the same names as the celebrities they Tweet on so read their summaries beforehand.  Would I recommend one over the other? Simply stated, no. Both have their place and usefulness in today's connected world. I will say that I wish I would have opened my Twitter account much sooner. Overall my Facebook experience has been a pleasant one. It's been nice to see what old friends have been up to and with Facebook I can post it and people can read it or leave it (sorta like this blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment