Monday, August 9, 2010

Kindle or iPad which is better?

I've seen some people question whether or not it's better to buy a Kindle or an iPad so I thought I'd share my personal review of each. I've owned a Kindle for about 8mos and an iPad for about 2mos. I've used the Kindle several times since receiving it and there are many things that I love about it. Like most eReaders out there you can easily adjust the font size, sync page placement, and store several books at a time. What sold me on the Kindle is the Whispersync technology and the ability to readily purchase and download new books from anywhere without a WiFi connection. The downside to the Kindle is that I have become spoiled to the "touch" interface of the iPhone so having to move the navigational "mouse" is a bit annoying. I also wish the screen was back lit, a feature that some other eReaders have jumped on. Like the iPhone the iPad also has the Kindle App available. This app syncs books and page placement directly to your iPhone or iPad accessing your Amazon account. The iPad comes with iBooks (Apple's version of an eReader). I found the book selection to be somewhat limited and you have to either use a WiFi connection or pay for a data plan in order to sync new content (there are no monthly fees associated with the Kindle). The screen is back lit and font size can also be adjusted on the iPad. Overall both make reading your favorite selections an enjoyable experience. So, now the big question, if I had to do it over would I have bought both? The answer is NO. If I had to do it over I would have waited for the iPad and gone without the Whispersync. To me it's by far the best feature of the Kindle but ultimately I wouldn't have had to absolutely have it. Most of the time that I'm getting new books I'm at home. I don't have the iPad with the 3G Data Connection so I would have to rely on a WiFi connection. However, with more and more places offering free WiFi I don't feel as though I would have been in a situation where I couldn't access another book if I needed to. With the Kindle app on the iPad I can access all the books that Amazon has available, plus I get the touch screen and back lit screen features.  So for now I will still continue to use my Kindle for reading. It is lighter and less bulky which is perfect for reading in bed or fitting into a purse. Plus I don't think my 2yr old will pry his hands off of the iPad long enough for me to actually read a full chapter let alone a whole book.

No comments:

Post a Comment