Thursday, August 26, 2010

Hot, hot, hot

Well after putting off the inevitable last week I finally got around to cleaning up the garage. However, one thing got in the way of my progress, the HEAT! Usually I can suck it up and sometimes even convince myself that the heat is aiding with my weight loss but this time I couldn't even talk myself into believing that one. Each day I've tried to complete the task and each day the heat kicked my butt. Yesterday I decided that I would just keep my projects for the next two days indoors, so after the regular cleaning duties I started working on the infamous swag bags for my son's upcoming birthday party. Everything was going smoothly until I began to feel the air get warmer and warmer and then.....oh no! Please don't tell me?! That's right, the heat beat me again. The AC went out. By this time it was late afternoon. It was too late to call the repairman but at least the hottest time of the day had passed and I could only pray that there would be a cool breeze to blow through the windows while we slept. Alas there was no breeze at all and the hot air just stood stagnant like a line at Disneyland. After turning on all of the fans and a restless night (the temp was a steady 83 degrees all night) I quickly tracked down the number to our local AC repairman and thankfully was told that he could be out to fix our problem by the afternoon. Today was going to be the hottest day of the week at a sweltering 103 degrees. All I could at this point was put "Operation: Stay Cool" into effect. That meant no usage of anything that would add to the already climbing temperature in our home. No TV and no cooking. After catching up on our reading and eating a cold breakfast the repairman arrived earlier than anticipated and quickly got "Operation: Cool Down" underway. It was at that moment that I swore I would never take refrigerated air for granted again. The heat may have won the garage cleaning battle, but as I sit with the wonderful cold air blowing around me I know that ultimately I won the war.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ashley,
    I am glad you are writing. Of course, I'm a bit bias being an English teacher and all, but I truly appreciate the gesture of getting your thoughts out in cyberland.

    Hugs,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you my friend. Now I just have to make the time to post!

    ReplyDelete